Our program is the only Master’s Degree in the state of Missouri to be fully accredited by the American Library Association. Upon successful completion of the 42-hour program of study, you will receive a Master of Arts in Information Science & Learning Technologies with an Emphasis in Library Science.
The School of Information Science & Learning Technologies (SISLT) was formed in 1997 with the merger of the School of Library and Informational Science and the Department of Educational Technologies. SISLT is one of five units in the University of Missouri College of Education.
We use several different course structures to provide you with the broadest and most instructionally-appropriate class opportunities.
- Face-to-face classes, giving you the opportunity to meet classmates and future colleagues.
- Online asynchronous classes, allowing you to participate any time, anywhere.
- Online synchronous classes, scheduled at fixed times to allow online, real-time interaction without the drive time.
- Hybrid classes, combining face-to-face and online instruction.
Face-to-face and hybrid classes are offered at five different locations:
- Columbia, Missouri
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Springfield, Missouri
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Omaha, Nebraska.
Most LIS faculty are based in Columbia, with clinical faculty in St. Louis and Kansas City. Partnerships with Missouri State University and the University of Nebraska-Omaha allow us to provide classes in those locations as well.
The LIS curriculum reflects the foundations of the field as well as the critical issues facing the profession. You will work closely with your advisor on all course selection decisions.
Core Courses (18 credit hours of required courses)
- 7301 Introduction to Information Technology (3 credits)
- 7305 Foundations of Library and Information Science (1 credit)
- 7302 Organization of Information (3 credits) OR 7312 Principles of Cataloging and Classification
- 7313 Managing Collections and Access (3 credits)
- 7314 Reference Sources and Services (3 credits)
- 7315 Management of Information Agencies (3 credits) OR 9406 School Library Administration
- 7380 Practicum in School Libraries (2-3 credits) OR 7381 Practicum in Information Agencies (2-3 credits)
Approved Elective Courses (Selected in consultation with faculty advisor)
- Must include 15 credit hours of 9000-level courses
- Must include 12 hours of courses taught by a full-time faculty member.